Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Copyright at MHC

Course Pack & Library Reserve Review

Whether you want your materials to go on reserve in the library or to be sold as a course pack in the bookstore you have a responsibility to ensure your materials comply with current copyright laws. If you’re planning on using reserves or course packs in the coming semesters review the material below to ensure your materials fit within the guidelines.

How to Submit a Course Pack

Course packs should be submitted to the Copyright Specialist either electronically or in person before they are submitted to the bookstore for duplication. The photocopy log and a request for printing form must be completed and attached to the front of your course pack when you submit it. All course pack materials that contain third party material will be reviewed for copyright compliance, so please make sure your course packs are submitted early to allow for review time and clearance before the course pack submission deadline required by the bookstore.

The compilation of various copyright materials should not be submitted directly to duplicating. The copyright review is an important part of the course pack process; without it, instructors are individually liable for any copyright infringement. Submitting course packs to the Copyright Specialist for review prior to submitting them to the bookstore for duplication will ensure they comply with copyright laws. 

How to Submit a Reserve

Reserves can be submitted online or in person. A new process and form is being developed for Fall 2022. See the Faculty Library page for the most up-to-date information.

What can go in a Course Pack or on Reserve?

  • Anything created by an instructor of the Medicine Hat College during the term of their employment.
  • Anything in the public domain
  • Anything for which you have received written permission to use in a course pack or reserve
  • Anything that falls under the Fair Dealing guidelines
  • Anything for which the Copyright Specialist has approved.


Getting Permissions Yourself

If you would like to use content that you need permission for, you are welcome to approach the rights holder directly. This especially makes sense when you have a personal connection with the rights holder, for example, many faculty contact their publisher representatives for permission to use the textbook extras. 

If requesting permission for use from a rights holder, you need to do the following: 

  • Get the permission in writing (email) and keep it for the duration of use, 
  • Note, how you intend to use the work (Blackboard, class handouts, etc.), 
  • And, confirm how long you can use the work (one semester, indefinitely, etc.). 

Assistance with Permissions

The Copyright Specialist provides permission services. Send a request by email. Your request email should contain: 

  • The full citation information for the work you intend to use, 
  • The amount you intend to use (page range, episode #, time frame), 
  • How you intend to use the work (Blackboard, class handouts, etc.), 
  • The course name and number you intend to use it in, 
  • And, the date you need it by. 

Submit requests as early as possible. The timeline is highly dependent on the responsiveness of the rights holder.